> The Beesley Buzz: Book review: My New Home by Marta Altes

Book review: My New Home by Marta Altes

 My New Home is a new children's picture book by author-illustrator Marta Altes. We were sent a copy of this book by Pan Macmillan to review.

Whilst the book is, on the surface, about moving house, it could also be related to children facing any new situation - starting preschool or school, changing schools, making new friends or finding themselves feeling lonely.

With its beautiful illustrations, and simple storyline, I would say the book is primarily aimed at preschool / early school years age children. However, because of the underlying message about new situations and making new friends, I can see this book appealing to children older than that too.
For example, when my boys went back to school last year after being homeschooled, a story like this could have helped with the transition stage. Even though J is nearly at secondary school age, he finds new situations and change difficult at times because of his aspergers. So I can see this book being used to aid his next school transition.

Even though he is an avid reader, with a reading age well ahead of his years, like many children do, he often finds comfort in books with plenty of illustrations and a simpler story at times of uncertainty. So this book is one I could even share with him and use it as a talking point to discuss any worries or concerns he may have.

A beautifully illustrated hardback book like this would make a perfect gift too. I can see Marta Altes' books becoming ones to keep and treasure forever!

My New Home by Marta Altes is available from Pan Macmillan.

Disclosure: We were sent this book for the purposes of review. All opinions are our own. 

2 comments:

  1. I do like it when books have subtle meanings to help kids.
    Bless Miss T.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rachael. I love kids books and especially when they have a special meaning too. x

      Delete

We have disabled commenting on the blog due to the volume of spam comments these days. If you want to get in touch, please ping us a message on social media.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...